Maybe it is time to go online to build your team — Let’s explore…
The pandemic has certainly changed the way we can build a doTERRA business. It’s pretty hard to have “oil parties” when nobody can attend in person. There is just nothing like being able to pass around bottles of oils and watching and hearing the Ooooh’s and Ahhhh’s as participants experience the various oils.
Then there is the difficult situation of the 6′ rule when out and about prospecting for new peeps. “Here! Catch this bottle and smell this! Isn’t it amazing?” yeah, right!
I have always preferred belly-to-belly prospecting to build my doTERRA business, but the truth is it isn’t very practical right now.
It’s true that people who have established a nice large team have actually seen an increase in their team volume (thanks to on guard and the like) but for those people who are just started out, it has become a bit harder to “duplicate” their upline’s success.
In my book, “Beyond the Oils,” I talk about things NOT to do to build to Silver quickly. One of the things is “Don’t create a website” because it can take so much time and money to create the perfect site that represents you.
I don’t know about you, but online business building is starting to look more attractive right now. Some obvious advantages include:
- Staying home keeps you COVID safe
- Takes less time if you automate properly
- Costs less than sampling oils to prospects if you use the right tools like simple connector
- Is very duplicable if you do not focus on Facebook
- Can be very non-pushy if you learn how to prospect based on the buyer’s journey
- Can be integrated with belly-to-belly prospecting when they finally let us back outside!
Of course, with the good, there are disadvantages too:
- less face-to-face spontaneous meetings to meet new people
- missing social interaction of in-person group classes (unless you zoom them)
- you’re going to have to learn something new — brain cobwebs and smoke coming out of your ears kinds of stuff
- spending money on something you do not already spend money on (but you can keep the costs WAY down with the proper tools
So, here goes… I am now recommending that you start to supplement your face-to-face business building with an online component.
Normally, I would say you should just dip your toes into it and start slowly. But, the truth is COVID has changed all of that. If you just wait for things to get back to the way they are don’t shift quickly, you will definitely fall behind the pack of those who are learning new stuff every day.
It’s YOUR business and if you want to build it, you get to bite the bullet and not be a victim of COVID.
Of course, there are always people telling how to build your business online and the courses can cost $500, $1000, or more when private coaching. But WHO has that kind of money when they are starting out?
The truth is that I have spent the past 15 years learning how to build an online business. I have spent well over $100,000 learning how to do it — probably double that! And I do not want you to make the same mistakes I made. Just so you know, there are low-cost ways to do it, but most were technically exceedingly difficult to master.
You do not want to be one of “THOSE” people who are constantly pushing oils on their Facebook friends and family, do you? Besides, when you depend on a company like Facebook to run your business, you are taking a HUGE risk that they could change their algorithm (as they do constantly) or even shut down your account — with NO RECOURSE! Yes, they do that too.
The good news is that the light at the end of the tunnel is beautiful sunshine if you build online the right way but, it could be a train if you don’t, so make sure to choose wisely!
So, how do you go online? There are different ways to leverage the internet and various tools to make it easier to do so. These include:
- Websites (WordPress, Weebly, corporate sites like doTERRA.com, etc.)
- Email (Gmail, Outlook, Hotmail, AOL, your own server, etc.)
- Facebook (both organic and paid advertising)
- Google (both organic and paid advertising)
- Autoresponders (to send out emails and/or texts)
- Bots (that pretend to be human and answer questions)
- Zoom (meetings and group classes)
- Webinars (group classes)
I could go on and on. You know about most of them. The key thing to understand, though, is how to use the above platforms to build your business. Simply creating a website will not bring customers (or business network builders) to your door. If nobody knows about you and how you can help them, they will not show up, come inside, and shop. Advertising is how stores get people to show up and if you ask any store owner, it is NOT cheap to advertise.
Online works a lot like Offline (physical stores) but has some distinct advantages and can be a LOT less expensive if you do it right.
There are some pretty cool things out there that can make your life a lot easier when going online and some powerful ways to connect with people so you don’t become one of “THOSE PEOPLE” who cause people to turn off their lights pretending to not be home when they see you coming.
That’s what I’ll talk about in the next post: Building your doTERRA business online without SPAMMING your friends on Facebook. Being ghosted (and broke) is just the wrong way to go through life.